South Carolina Accident and Injury Lawyer
Few drivers start their ignitions with the thought that they are about to get into a car accident. Unfortunately, accidents can and do happen everyday. When an accident happens, the following tips may help guide you through the process.
1. If your or anyone else is injured, call 911. If you are injured, you need to seek medical attention. If your injuries require you to see a doctor, be sure to follow your doctor’s treatment advice.
2. Call the police. If at all possible, obtain a copy of the police incident report.
3. If you are able, make notes of all of the important details of the scene. While time may feel like it stops immediately after an accident, witnesses may quickly leave the scene, and law enforcement will want to clear the area. Move quickly to:
- Secure contact information, including name, address, phone number, and car insurance coverage for the other driver. (Click here to learn what to do if you are hit by uninsured driver)
- Identify and secure contact information for any witnesses, including name, address, and phone number. If at all possible, get a quick statement from the witnesses while the accident is fresh in their mind. Memories fade, and a lawsuit may not be brought until long after the accident occurs.
- Note the make, model, and color of the other car or cars involved.
Once you are safe and secure, make any additional notes you can about the accident, including information about the scene and how the accident happened. If it helps, draw a picture of the scene.
4. Do not volunteer any information about who is at fault. Leave the responsibility of placing blame for the accident on law enforcement. If the other driver admits that he or she is at fault, make note of the conversation. Remember: saying that you are sorry may be used against you later as an admission of guilt.
5. If you have a cell phone or camera, take pictures. Law enforcement will work to clean up the accident scene as quickly as possible. A picture of the wreck immediately after it occurs may prove very useful later.
After the Accident
If you are injured, the best thing that you can do is consult your family doctor and follow his or her suggested course of treatment.
Have questions? The Strom Law Firm, LLC offers a free consultation with our personal injury attorneys. Call us today to see how we can help.
By: South Carolina Injury and Accident Lawyer Pete Strom